Don’t get me wrong, I love a good to-do list, who doesn’t? However, if your to-do list is as long as your arm and certain items are continually being deferred to the following day, this is a clear sign of procrastination. Procrastination generally rears its head as a sign of emotions that trigger discomfort, judgement, rejection, fear or similar. Whilst cleaning fluff out of the tumble dryer or making just one more cuppa may temporarily distract, if we’re not careful these items take on a life of their own and the feelings of avoidance, frustration and beating up on ourselves amplify. Let’s be honest, what we’re prepared to do today, is what we’ll be willing to do tomorrow. So rather than wishing, waiting or hoping for things to be different; more time, less stress, etc, what would happen if we changed our focus?
Rather than a to-do list, what would it look like to have a to-be list?
To-be lists focus on first things first. To-be lists reach the essence of us as individuals, so rather than becoming absorbed with a list of actions, without necessarily questioning our resonance to them, we are focusing on a list of values, behaviours, experiences and goals that we want to bring our attention to;
What makes you unique?
What gives you joy?
Who do you need to become to fulfill your aspirations, dreams and goals?
By focusing on the be-ing first, you are living more in alignment with your authenticity and natural flow and therefore any list of goals or actions should organically generate from them. So, what if doing less, gives you more?
Some tips to get you out of your head and into your heart:
- If you are overwhelmed, practice saying “no”. No explanation or justification needed. “No” is a complete sentence.
- Let go of the need to be liked. The relationship you have with yourself is the most important.
- Comparison is the thief of joy, so do your best to resign from any.
- Spend time everyday doing something soulful. Yoga, walking the pooch along the beach, noticing the change of seasons, enjoying journaling time over a coffee to reflect on what you want to attract into your life, dancing to Abba; whatever lights you up.
- Daily gratitude. What we focus on we get, so notice how your life improves by focusing on things that bring joy and being thankful for all that you have and the positive changes you are manifesting into your life.